Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Is it the weather?


I haven't seen the sunlight in two days. Tokyo has been dark , dreary and generally unwelcoming. When I walk the streets of the city my feet are soaked, the sky is overcast and the tall buildings look like the menacing concrete walls of a prison.... A typhoon is heading towards Japan at this very moment. There is news that it may be of a strength similar to the one which struck in 2004 and caused 95 deaths. Typhoon Melor. It sounds like a creature that should be battling Godzilla and Mothra for dominance over Tokyo.... The dreadful weather shows no end in sight....












My current mood is a combination of three emotions: contentment, nervousness and excitement. I am content that all of my school work is complete for the week and my assignments on Thursday and Friday are relatively low stress: My mind can relax and enjoy its freedom. I'm always a little bit nervous: I think it's a good thing. And Lastly, my feeling of pure excitement: I am going to Kyoto in three days. Kyoto was my first choice when choosing a study abroad program in Japan. I attempted to find a program that fit, but each glove that I tried on was the wrong size. I found the perfect combination of price, living arrangements and educational needs in Temple University Tokyo and I am grateful for it. I've fallen in love with Tokyo. It's third on my list of favorite cities after Pittsburgh and NYC. I like how each neghborhood has a unique personality. Ginza is high class, Roppongi is edgy, Shibuya is hip, Harajuku trendy and fashionable. Tokyo is amazing. But Kyoto is Kyoto. Kyoto is old Japan. Kyoto is a living, breathing history book. I love history. The city itself is practically a work of art. The fall foliage, ancient wooden architecture and the powerful sense of tradition. And I havent even been there yet. Tokyo is new, time to taste the old.











Anticipation, anxiety and excitement. I can't wait to go to Kyoto and place one more piece of the puzzle that is Japan into its proper place. Not too long ago I would never have imagined in my wildest dreams that I would be seeing what I am seeing now. I wish that I could share it with everyone. In three days I'll be going to Kyoto and I am ecstatic. By the way.... How's the weather today? I completely forgot....


No comments:

Post a Comment